Wednesday 7 November 2018

List discussion- Brave and the Bold, Batfleck/Ezra Flash

Hi everyone, branching out a bit more with a discussion on a list I have had a good deal of success with, so people can get to know my playstyle and list preferences a bit more. This one is a bit of a low model count list at 6 models, but I've managed to get a lot of wins with this against a variety of crews, and placed 2nd in a 17 player tournament earlier this year with a variation on this.

The Brave And The Bold Crew

Models: 6
Reputation: 348/350
Funding: 1500$/1500$

[Boss][L] Batman (Ben Affleck) [125/0$]

[F] The Flash [118/100$]

[H] Gotham Policewoman [14/0$]

[H] Quick Response Team 2 [33/350$]
-Whistle [0/200$]

[H] Lerida [36/450$]
-SWAT Special Training [0/100$]
-Whistle [0/200$]

[H] Arkham Guard 3 [22/100$]

This was originally intended as a somewhat more themed list, with both heroes being from Justice League and the DCEU. Batfleck is somewhat of a default model for me, as I find him to be the Batman I most enjoy using the most, and I simply wanted to use Flash, who was brand new when I wrote this list. The basic idea is using Batman and the guns as both hammer and anvil, with Flash running interference and scoring early VP. An alternate version of this list (and the one I took to the tournament I discuss below) is replacing Arkham Guard 3 with Arkham Guard 1, and giving Batman the Upgraded Batsuit. It lets Batman survive better, but loses out on ranged damage a bit. I have found the Riot Gun not always useful, but it comes more in handy early game than Arkham Guard 1. 
Batman
Batman in here is the brawler, made to get stuck in with the enemy crew and punch up threats. Sustained Defence lets him block a hell of a lot, and in centre focused games he can just plod around with 4 attack and 4 defence to punch out what he needs to.
Flash
Flash's role in this list I've pretty much gone over in my Speedster article, but he is there to quickly grab and defend objectives turn 1/2, then when the cops catch up he runs around and knocks out henchmen. 
QRT2/Lerida
They shoot things, and they whistle things. Camped on an ammo, or hunting around one, they can put out a ton of damage. Also shutting things down for Batman and Flash to get to, these 2 make almost every list I play. Lerida is also here to do as much damage as possible to higher defence models with SWAT Training, and even defence 5 models will be hit on 2s. 
Policewoman/Arkham Guard 3
As I keep repeating, Moral Compass on Flash is something you need to play around as much as possible. My other henchmen do blood damage in spades, so no issue there, but I still needed to make up Arrests to remove KO models. That's what these 2 are for, with the Policewoman being an amazing budget option for 14 rep, both in objective defence and in arresting, and the Arkham Guard arresting but also can pop off some more stun with his Riot Gun. 

This list I took to Clash of the Titans 2018 in Sydney, Australia, and I ended up coming 2nd overall. This tournament had all 3 scenarios based around the centre of the table, so I knew that shorter/medium ranged guns and brawlers would be highly effective in this regard. All 3 games I took Change of Plans and Police Training as strategies, based around scoring as quickly and efficiently as possible and making my arrests as efficient as possible, using Medical Supplies, Ammo and the Batsignal. This let me easily sit on 9VP a turn and wait out the rest, giving the opportunity to just rely on them having to come to me to not be outscored.
Game 1 I was against Secret Six, and managed to have Flash fight off Catman on my flank every turn of the game (through beams and pushes) to sit quite comfortably on 6VP, while in the middle of the board the rest of my crew had a somewhat tougher fight against the rest of the crew. Here my VP gain was just too much, and I was able to in return contest objectives for long enough to get a convincing victory.
Game 2 I was against a Green Arrow crew that I had some experience against beforehand, so I knew how to best deal with what I faced. Again my cops sat back on objectives to score as many VP as possible early, but this time one of my objectives was in his deployment zone, so I had to send Flash up to deal with that. He managed to survive the onslaught for long enough, and my opponent sending almost all his threat to deal with Flash led to me being able to mop up around his own objectives. It came out to be another minor win by Batmatch, but only by a very small margin at this point
Game 3 I was at the top table, and I already expected a bloodbath. I was up against the reigning champion and his Black Mask crew. This scenario we had to split our crews in half for deployment, so I was already fighting a losing battle, but I was pretty much just picked apart. A lucky turn 1 Batsignal on a 12" high building saved me from humiliation, with Flash managing to hold out long enough to score some more VP, but it ended up in a minor loss to me. It did, however, still put me ahead of 3rd place in VP count, so I still managed to come in at 2nd place at the end of the day.

All in all, I very much enjoy using this crew, and I find that it has a lot of teeth in terms of competitiveness. It may struggle against some faster and higher damage hordes, but in general the basic strategy holds solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment